- Food chain slaves: They say there are 40,000 slaves in the US today.
- Sex slaves: "There are an estimated 1.4 million sex slaves in the world today and international trafficking is on the rise."
- Bonded slaves: "a form of slavery that is passed down from one generation to the next."
- Child slaves: "There are at least 8.4 million child slaves in the world today, many of them held as forced labour."
- Charcoal slaves: " Poverty stricken men from north of Brazil are lured to remote camps where they are used as slave laborers."
- Bridal slaves:
India has the world's largest number of slaves, among them an increasing number of women and girls sold into marriage.
- Prison slaves: In Chinese factories.
Tuesday, October 18, 2011
Most of us have assumed that slavery was abolished long ago. Little do we know. Al Jazeera has a special series of programs on slavery. [Click on the title above for a link.] Their programs highlight several kinds of enslavement.