We need to appreciate McClatchy papers for their faithfulness in reporting; they have developed a fine reputation for seeking to know and report what is going on in contested places; they were, I gather, one of the best in reporting on the
- General Taguba, now retired (and able to say what he thinks?) now accuses Bush of criminal behavior http://www.mcclatchydc.com/world/story/41514.html
- A notable prisoner, abused in this story: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/38888.html
- Deliberate deception by the
government: “US hid detainees from Red Cross and masked abuses” http://www.mcclatchydc.com/world/story/41394.html US
McClatchy papers have recently published a series on the detention system of the American military. This is what they say about the series:
“An eight-month McClatchy investigation of the detention system created after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks has found that the U.S. imprisoned innocent men, subjected them to abuse, stripped them of their legal rights and allowed Islamic militants to turn the prison camp at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba into a school for jihad.
- “Sunday: We got the wrong guys
- “Monday: 'I guess you can call it torture'
- “Tuesday: A school for Jihad
- “Wednesday: 'Due process is legal mumbo-jumbo'
- “Today: 'You are the king of this prison'
“READ THE EVIDENCE
“Browse an archive of documents obtained by McClatchy in the course of this investigation.”