Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Dozens of Muslims died in the World Trade Center buildings on 9/11

We were at the World Trade Center memorial the other day.  Being there made me wonder how many Muslims were killed there on 9/11/01.  I found a number of probable Muslim names listed on the memorial to the twin towers.

There has been so much talk about the danger that Muslims constitute in our society -- Joe Walsh seems to think it will get him votes -- that I thought I would check on how many Muslims were killed on that fateful day when the Americans decided Muslims were dangerous.

What I found when I looked it up was an uncertain number (many people already know this because it has been out there for years).  At least 30 died and the website says it could have been as many of 70, not counting the 19 Al Qaeda members who commandeered the planes.  I would not be surprised if there were even more, because many internationals were working in those buildings at the time.

The number of Muslim dead on that day proves nothing, but it seems one way to remind ourselves that the anxiety about dangerous Muslims in this country is contrived for local and contemporary reasons:  There are some Americans foolish enough to believe that by inventing terror they can be elected to Congress.  I believe not.  Anyone so foolish should not be in Congress.

See:  http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_Muslims_died_in_the_September_11th_attacks#ixzz23YcSI6bo

No comments: